TEMPOROMANDIBULAR JOINT DISORDER (TMJ)
Temporomandibular Joint Disorder, or TMJ, refers to pain in a patient’s jaw joint. However, TMJ symptoms are not limited to the jaw joint.
TMJ can result in many diverse symptoms, which can range from uncomfortable to extremely painful and disruptive. Possible symptoms include:
- Pain in the jaw joint
- Difficulty chewing or biting
- Ear pain, ringing in the ear, and even hearing loss
- Nausea and vomiting
- Locking or clicking of the jaw
- An unusual feeling in the jaw
- An unusual feeling in the bite
- Since the symptoms of TMJ are so varied, it is important to have a professional examination if you are experiencing any of these symptoms. After a brief assessment, our caring and attentive team will tell you if the symptoms you are experiencing are due to TMJ.
What are the causes of TMJ?
TMJ can be caused by trauma to the jaw area, simple wear and tear over time, or bad habits such as teeth grinding or clenching your teeth.
Our team can help you understand if your habits are contributing to your TMJ. Sometimes simple alterations in lifestyle and behaviour will lead to significant improvement in your TMJ symptoms.
How will Park Lawn Dental help my TMJ?
If our knowledgeable team has diagnosed TMJ, there are a number of treatment options available to you. We often recommend a custom-made bite guard to our patients suffering with TMJ as this simple dental appliance can significantly improve symptoms.
What other treatment options may help my TMJ?
Other treatment options include physical therapy, medication, a change in habits that may be worsening the TMJ symptoms, or injections.
Depending on the severity of your TMJ, we may recommend you consult with a specialist who has experience with more severe cases of TMJ.
In rare cases, surgery may be recommended to address the problem. Our caring team can help you decide which of these TMJ treatment options are best for you.